LIHBC Gregory Mancini Scholarship Fund
The LIHBC Gregory Mancini Memorial Scholarship was founded in memory of long-time Long Island Builders Institute (LIBI) Board member Gregory A. Mancini. The scholarship is available to children or grandchildren of LIBI members and their employees.
The goal of the fund is to provide monetary assistance of up to $2,000 per year to Nassau and Suffolk High School graduates continuing on to college or transfer students, who wish to pursue a career in the building industry. To date, the scholarship has helped over two-dozen students.
100% of all monies donated go directly to the Scholarship Fund…very few charities can boast that! Every year we provide 2 scholarships to local students and we need your support to maintain the fund. Please consider making a tax-deductable contribution so we are able to continue to offer this incredible benefit to our members.
Building Industry Definition
For the purpose of this Scholarship Fund, “Building Industry” shall be defined as including the following areas of endeavor:
- New home construction and/or residential renovation
- Commercial construction and/or renovation
- Real estate development
- Finance with a major concentration in the Industry
- Any other related professional field
Scholarships shall be available to children or grandchildren of Long Island Builders Institute (LIBI) members, their employees and their children and grandchildren. Applicants should meet the following qualifications;
- Maintenance of minimum establish academic grades
- Community involvement in charitable, social and/or political endeavors
- Prior involvement in the Industry through education and/or employment
Long Island Home Builders Care Executive Committee Rules
- The Long Island Home Builders Care (LIHBC) Board of Directors, upon recommendation from the LIHBC Executive Committee (The Committee), shall establish a Scholarship Selection Board which will consist of a minimum of five and a maximum of seven members. Members shall serve an annual term.
- No member of the Scholarship Selection Board shall be a member, family of, or employee of a member of LIBI or LIHBC.
- The Committee may from time to time modify or establish new criteria for Applicant Qualifications consistent with the Mission.
- Among the Committee’s responsibility shall be the preservation and expansion of the Fund’s corpus so as to maintain the ability to continue to provide scholarships indefinitely.
- From time to time, the Committee may sponsor fund raising events provided that the net receipts of such events benefit the Scholarship Fund exclusively.
- Scholarships will be a maximum of $2,000 per student per year for a maximum of four (4) years (transfer students are only eligible for scholarship for the remainder of four (4) years since beginning undergraduate education).
- Applications will be reviewed and winners selected by a Scholarship Selection Board chosen by the Board of Directors of Long Island Home Builders Care, which will consider applicant’s interest in construction, grades, extracurricular activities, employment experience and adult evaluations.
- Awards will be announced in June and winners will be notified by mail.
- Checks will be presented to recipients prior to the beginning of the school year. Checks will not be sent to the college.
- For subsequent awards, scholarship winners are required to provide indications of continued interest in construction and continued enrollment and good standing in a college program leading to a degree in an eligible field of study. Recipient is encouraged to seek summer employment in one of the areas of endeavor listed above (“Eligibility” #2) at some time during undergraduate enrollment.
- Scholarship winners must submit to LIHBC via letter or email an update as to your current activities along with pictures of school events that you participate in. We may use your photos in our Newsletter and Promotional material.
- For subsequent awards, send us a copy of your transcript and paid tuition receipt for the coming year. Grades must reflect a minimum of a “C” average. If, at any time, the minimum average is not met, the scholarship shall be forfeited for the balance of the scholarship term.
You can view our past recipients in the Photo Gallery.
Click here to download the application form for LIHBC Gregory Mancini Scholarship Fund.
Please consider to make any monetary contribution so we are able to continue to offer this benefit to the students of our members. Please go to Donate page to select the link. All donations are tax-deductible.